Идиоматические выражения, описывающие Danger (Опасность):
The crew had a narrow escape when the pilot made a crash landing.
Something sets alarm bells ringing = something worries you because it is a sigh that there may be a problem
-что-то подозрительное происходит
The strange look she gave me set alarm bells ringing.
Take your life in(to) your hands = do something very risky
You’re taking your life into your hands crossing the road here.
Your life is in someone’s hands = that person can affect whether you live or die
-“жизнь в чужих руках”
When you go into hospital, you put your life in the hands of strangers.
Идиоматические выражения, описывающие Effort (Усилие, прилагать усилия):
Give something your all = use all your energy and effort to do something
I gave it my all, but took only the third place.
Go all out = use a lot of energy and effort to do something
Jack is going all out to win the contract – I hope he’ll succeed.
By hook or by crook = use whatever methods are necessary
Our football team is determined to win the championship, by hook or by crook.
Идиоматические выражения, Saying something is easy (что-то очень легко):
How was your test, difficult? (Как тест, сложный?)
- child’s play = extremely easy
- a peace of cake = extremely easy (informal)
- a doddle = extremely easy (informal)
- an easy as falling off a log = extremely easy (informal)
- as easy as taking candy from a baby = extremely easy
Идиоматические выражения, описывающие Feelings (Чувства):Good/positive feelings (Позитивные чувства):
- To be on the top of the world = happy
- To be thrilled to bits = happy
- To be cool, calm and collected = relaxed, prepared, in control
- Something makes someone’s day = makes someone’s feel very happy/satisfied
- To jump for joy = feel very glad and happy
Bad/negative feelings (Негативные чувства):
- To be/feel down in the dumps = depressed
- To be/feel on edge = nervous
- To be sick and tired = to have had enough (negative)